7.22.2011

Arugula: Part I

I found my camera and finally have downloaded the pics.  I know you've been waiting for this...our first adventure with Arugula!!  YUM!!

I always wished that I could look into the fridge, see the hodgepodge of ingredients, and come up with dinner. My husband has that talent, but I do not. I'm getting better, but yea...not so much...lol.  I'm all about the cookbooks. 

This is what I see when I open the fridge (most of the time anyway):



In our first group session with our Holistic Health Coach, we talked about vegetables.  More specifically, Glorious Greens!!  My other two female session mates and I pretty much have eaten/tried the same greens.  My first "action" goal was to come up with 3 new recipes over the next couple of weeks using new greens that I haven't used before.  I knew I had eaten some kind of Arugula salad in the past and decided to start with that one.

Our first resource was the recipe book "Greens Glorious Greens!" by Johnna Albi & Catherine Walthers.  Not only do they have great recipes in here, they also talk about each type of green and its benefits.  Super fantastic!!  Check out the book HERE!

This recipe stood out to me right away!  YUM!




To quote the recipe book:

Potato Salad with Arugula

In this recipe, arugula is used more as an herb than a lettuce.  The pungent flavor is distinct, but nicely balanced by the smoothness of the potatoes, the lushness of the olive oil, and the tang of the tomatoes.  Great for picnics and BBQs.

Serves 6 to 8

2 lbs small red potatoes
1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
2 large tomatoes, cut into .5-in wide wedges
1 cup chopped arugula leaves, washed and though stems trimmed

Dressing:
3 TBLS white wine vinegar
6 TBLS extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1)  Scrub potatoes well.  Steam over boiling water until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 15-20 in

2)  Cool potatoes slightly under running water to allow easy handling.  Peel potatoes (I like to keep the skin on) and cut in half lengthwise.  Cut each half into 3 pieces.  You should have about 5 cups of 1-in chunks.  Place in a large mixing bowl.

3)  When potatoes have cooled to room temperature, add the red onion, tomatoes, and arugula.  Toss gently to combine.

4)  In a small jar, combine the vinegar, olive oil, mustard powder, and S&P.  Pour over the vegetables and toss gently to incorporate dressing.  Taste and adjust seasonings.


There you have it!!  I cut up some fresh strawberries:




I baked a couple of chicken breasts, using a basting brush to apply the mustard/EVOO that I mixed up (marinating the chicken in the dressing for the potato salad would have been a great idea too).  Add salt & pepper...viola!  We have dinner folks!!  :D



It was so easy and took practically no time to prep (minus the boiling of the potatoes, but multitasking is always a good idea!).

Until next time!!

Cheers!



3 comments:

Teri said...

I'm sooo going to try this!!

Elle Keeps Moving said...

that looks delicious!

Unknown said...

@Teri~ You will have to come over and I'll make you some! :)

@Elle~ It really is! I def suggest it! :D